The Portland Senior Experience (PDXSX) Application & Instructions
An Internship Program For All SOJC Majors
The University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication (SOJC) is seeking applications for the Fall 2017 Portland Senior Experience (PDXSX) cohort. The PDXSX combines classroom education with a professional internship in the Portland area, centered at the George S. Turnbull Center within the historic White Stag complex in downtown Portland.
Portland Experience Courses Offered:
- J404 – Internship (1 – 9 Credits*^)
- J409 – Practicum (2 Credits*)
* Class is required to be part of the PDXSX program.
^ Students must take at least two (2) J404 credits to participate in the PDXSX program, but may not need to take the full 9-credits, depending on previous J404 credits taken. You are allowed to take up to nine (9) credits of J404 during your entire undergraduate program.
Other Courses Available:
- J406 – Special Problems (4 Credits for JOUR & MS)**
- J410 – Strategic Communication Campaigns (4 Credits for PR & AD)^^
- J412 – [Topics] Issues in Media Studies (4 Credits) List B/Core Context
** MS majors may be able to work out a J413 substitute with approval from their faculty advisor.
^^ On approval from PR or AD sequence chair, students may be allowed to substitute J410 for J448 or J454.
- Up to twenty-five (25) students may be selected for the PDXSX cohort.
- Students will participate and complete a part-time (20-30 hours/week) internship at a Portland agency, corporation, government or nonprofit organization.
- The PDXSX program has several $2,000 & $5,000 scholarships available for participating students who meet certain conditions and/or agree to intern for specific organizations.
- Students will be required to interview for admission into the program and then again at potential internship sites. Students may need to interview at several locations to find a suitable match.
- Students will be responsible for their own housing.
- In J409, students will hear information from industry leaders & professional recruiters, consider the future of journalism fields for young professionals, participate in agency & organization tours and learn about post-college integration into a multigenerational workforce.
- Students may also earn additional credits with independent study options through a faculty advisor.
Requirements for Consideration:
- Be a full-major in the SOJC at UO
- Be in good SOJC academic standing (2.9 minimum GPA; 3.0+ preferred); previous internship experience and a strong portfolio may compensate for a GPA lower than 2.9.
The PDXSX Application must include:
- A clean, error-free and flawless resume.
- A 300- to 500-word essay describing your journalism/communication experience to-date, why you are committed to a career in journalism/communication and what you hope to achieve during the Portland Senior Experience.
- Work Samples: include up to three (3) very strong samples or clips, which showcase your professional abilities. Work from previous internships is strongly encouraged. However, students may also include outstanding class assignments. You will be limited to only 16MB per sample.
How to Apply:
Follow this link to upload your PDXSX application essay, resume & portfolio samples via the program’s online process before 4:00PM, Friday, May 5th, 2017.
Click here to download a printable PDF version of the PDXSX Application Instructions.